Introduction to the MSO
Committee 2017 - 2019
||Dr Kenneth Fong Choong Sian
||Dr Muiz Mahyudin
||Dr Manoharan Shunmugam
|Asst. Hon. Secretary
||Dr Amir Bin Samsudin
||Dr Lee Ming Yueh
||Dr Fang Seng Kheong
Dato Dr Mohd Johari bin Hj Mohamad
Dr Shelina binti Oli Mohamed
Dr John Mathen
||Mr Watt Siew Wah
Ms Clare Law
The Society was first formed in 1964 by pioneering Malaysian Ophthalmologists, as a society within the Malaysian Medical Association (MMA) designated as the MMA Ophthalmological Society (MMAOS). Over the following 45 years, the society grew in membership and activities under the umbrella of the MMA, promoting and advancing the specialty.
Eventually, the membership of the MMA OS realised that, in order for the Society to fulfill its objectives and to meet new challenges more effectively, it was necessary to spread its wings and exist as an independent society.
With that, the MSO was formed and successfully registered with the Registrar of Societies on 15 April 2008. The MMA OS was dissolved on 31 December 2009.
As our predecessor society had done so well over the years, the MSO will continue to carry the flag for the profession of Ophthalmology in Malaysia, having taken over all the duties and functions of the MMA OS.
- To continuously advance the standard of Ophthalmology practice in Malaysia in keeping with the best international standards, by actively promoting Continuous Medical Education, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, and by facilitating the professional exchange of information among its members.
- To improve eye and visual health in the community by conducting educational, charitable and other projects.
- To encourage research and development in Ophthalmology
- To enhance social interaction and to foster goodwill among practitioners of the specialty, including members in training
- To promote and to uphold the interests of the profession of Ophthalmology in all its aspects