TRAVELLING GRANT FOR THE PRESENTATION OF SCIENTIFIC PAPERS
(revision of March 2015)
- Source of funding - MSO
- To encourage the presentation of original research by Malaysian ophthalmologists and trainees at an international level.
- The presentation will be in the form of an oral presentation of a scientific research paper. Invited didactic lectures are excluded.
- Meetings eligible
- APAO Congress
- ESCRS Meeting
- AAO Annual Meeting
- ARVO Annual Meeting
- Subspecialty meetings of an equivalent level*
*to be decided on a case-by-case basis
- Number of grants available
- One grant per half year, i.e. Jan – Jun (1), Jul – Dec (1)
- Eligibility and conditions
- The recipient must have been a member of the MSO for at least 1 year at the time of travel.
- The recipient must be the presenting author and principal investigator.
- A member may receive this grant no more than once every 5 years.
|Venue of meeting
- Qualified candidates may submit their applications:
- By 31 November for a presentation planned for the January – June period of the following year
- By 31 May for a presentation planned for the July – December period of the same year.
- The application should:
- Include a summary of the scientific paper
- Indicate the meeting where the paper is intended for presentation.
- Confirmed acceptance of the paper for presentation is not a prerequisite at this stage.
- The MSO committee will determine the best entry from the applications received. No award will be made if there are deemed to be no suitable applications.
- The winning applicant will be offered the grant, conditional upon:
- Acceptance of the paper for presentation at the Meeting
- Actual presentation of the paper by the member at the Meeting (‘no-show’ and ‘’withdrawn’ presentations will be disqualified)
- The member will be disbursed the grant money after the meeting, provided that the above conditions have been met.
THE NOVA-MSO YOUNG INVESTIGATOR AWARDS (2011-2016)
This Award is established to encourage ophthalmic research among young Malaysian Ophthalmologists and Ophthalmology trainees. It is made possible by a grant from Novartis Malaysia, to the value of RM4,000 per year for a period of 6 years.
Shortlisted scientific papers will be presented orally at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the MSO. A panel of judges appointed by the MSO committee will select the winning papers for 2 categories: Retina and Non-retina. There will be 4 awards:
The awards will be presented at the Annual General Meeting of the MSO.
MSO members under the age of 45 years.
Applicants must be the main author or the project leader.
Case reports are not acceptable.
The main part of the work must have been conducted in Malaysia.
The project must have been completed within the last 3 years.
The applicant must not have won this prize in the past 3 years.
Any authors involved in the project will not be included in the shortlisting and judging committee.
Procedure for participation
A call for abstracts will be made at the time of the announcement of the Annual Scientific Meeting of the MSO.
Abstracts must be received by the stipulated deadline, using the format provided, together with registration and payment for the Annual Scientific Meeting.
A vetting committee will shortlist the papers for presentation.
Authors of papers selected for presentation will be notified.
POSTER SUBSIDY FOR TRAINEES
||Source of funding
||MSO general fund
||MSO members who are:
a. Trainees (Associate Members)
b. Ophthalmologists within 1 year of postgraduate qualification
||Printing of scientific poster
||RM150.00 (fixed sum)
Other Regional or International meetings will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For meetings not listed above, please write in to apply.
- MSO Annual Scientific Meeting
- Annual UKM-USM-UM Ophthalmology Meeting
- Malaysia-Singapore / Singapore-Malaysia Joint Meeting
||Conditions / Limits
- Each doctor may be reimbursed for not more than 1 poster per year.
- Actual presentation of poster at the meeting (‘no-show’ and ‘’withdrawn’ presentations will not be considered).
- Approval of funding is subject to the discretion and final decision of the MSO Committee.
- Claim Slip [ Download ]
- The claim slip must be filled in completely and legibly, and submitted to the MSO Secretariat within 1 month of the close of the meeting.
- The claim will be reviewed at the following Committee meeting, and a cheque will be issued to the Doctor after approval.
- Original receipt for the printing of the poster
- Photostatted page of abstract from Programme Book